Friday, September 23, 2011

Relevance of Ayn Rand's villains today?

Share |
Bill Gates as Howard Rearden? For the most part I agree with this; on the other hand, I have to argue that Microsoft Word was an unstable system from 1990 to 2007. Now, I can safely edit a document in Microsoft Word 2007 without it falling over. No instability problems at all. A belated thank you to Microsoft. But I conclude that Bill did not seem to love his product as much as Rearden. But maybe if Bill had a nagging wife at home, he too would have spent more time in the office. Insofar as Bill appears to have much greater love for "Billinda", perhaps we might argue that Bill Gates has exceeded Ayn Rand's expectations. In this context, I think you'd just say that Bill is less morally ambivalent than 'pragmatic' Rearden.

------------------------------------
Author
Andrew Sheldon

ConvinceMe.Net - Anyone up for a debate?